Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Old Message for Our New Political Times

Proverbs Chapter 1

20 Wisdom calls out in the street;
  she raises her voice in the public squares.

  21 She cries out above the commotion;
  she speaks at the entrance of the city gates:

  22 "How long, foolish ones, will you love ignorance?
  [How long] will [you] mockers enjoy mocking
  and [you] fools hate knowledge? 

  23 If you turn to my discipline,  
  then I will pour out my spirit on you 
  and teach you my words.

  24 Since I called out and you refused, 
  extended my hand and no one paid attention, 

  25 since you neglected all my counsel 
  and did not accept my correction,

  26 I, in turn, will laugh at your calamity. 
  I will mock when terror strikes you,

  27 when terror strikes you like a storm
  and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
  when trouble and stress overcome you.

  28 Then they will call me, but I won't answer;
  they will search for me, but won't find me.

  29 Because they hated knowledge,
  didn't choose to fear the LORD, 

  30 were not interested in my counsel,
  and rejected all my correction, 

  31 they will eat the fruit of their way
  and be glutted with their own schemes.

  32 For the waywardness of the inexperienced will kill them, 
  and the complacency of fools will destroy them.

  33 But whoever listens to me will live securely
  and be free from the fear of danger." 


Proverbs 2
Wisdom's Worth
 1 My son, if you accept my words
  and store up my commands within you,

  2 listening closely to wisdom
  and directing your heart to understanding;

  3 furthermore, if you call out to insight
  and lift your voice to understanding,

  4 if you seek it like silver
  and search for it like hidden treasure, 

  5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
  and discover the knowledge of God.

  6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
  from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

  7 He stores up success for the upright;
  He is a shield for those who live with integrity 

  8 so that He may guard the paths of justice
  and protect the way of His loyal followers. 

  9 Then you will understand righteousness, justice,
  and integrity—every good path.

  10 For wisdom will enter your mind,
  and knowledge will delight your heart.

  11 Discretion will watch over you,
  and understanding will guard you, 

  12 rescuing you from the way of evil—
  from the one who says perverse things,

  13 [from] those who abandon the right paths
  to walk in ways of darkness, 

  14 [from] those who enjoy doing evil
  and celebrate perversity,

  15 whose paths are crooked, 
  and whose ways are devious. 

  16 It will rescue you from a forbidden woman, 
  from a stranger with her flattering talk,

  17 who abandons the companion of her youth
  and forgets the covenant of her God;

  18 for her house sinks down to death
  and her ways to the land of the departed spirits. 

  19 None return who go to her;
  none reach the paths of life. 

  20 So follow the way of good people, 
  and keep to the paths of the righteous.

  21 For the upright will inhabit the land,
  and those of integrity will remain in it; 

  22 but the wicked will be cut off from the land,
  and the treacherous uprooted from it. 

Copied directly out of Holman Christian Standard Bible

Words of King Solomon to his son and others 9th century BC.

No comments: